Joanna can be found on her website, or you can reach her at info@joannascaparotti.com.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What do you lead with?

Have you ever paid attention to how you walk? Do you walk like you're in a hurry to get to your destination, or do you enjoy the journey? We all know that walking is good exercise, but did you know it can be a fun way to relax and reduce stress?

Next time you are walking, pay attention to your body language. What message are you giving yourself and those around you? Are you leading with your head or chest, maybe leaning forward for speed? What do you see as you walk? Do you notice your surroundings, or are you concentrating on your destination? This type of walking might be a make a good cardio workout, but it's not likely to help you relax.

Try leading with your belly instead. I know it sounds silly, but if you just give it a try you'll be glad you did. As you stand, relax your belly fully - just let it all hang out and lean back a little as if you just finished a big meal and you're making room for digestion. Now as you begin to walk, lead your movements with your belly, hips and thighs, continuing to relax and lean back slightly. You'll find you'll naturally want to take some nice slow breaths and your body begins to relax. Leaning back like this, instead of hunched forward, you may notice more of your surroundings and enjoy them too.

I find that it's pretty hard to stay cranky and stressed when leading with my belly - in fact I feel like I'm strolling and on top of the world. Next time you're feeling stressed, I encourage you to lead with your belly and see where it takes you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! When I actually take a minute to think about how I'm walking, I'm so hunched over, it's embarrassing! Belly walking may just start today (or at least when it stops raining)!

~Melissa

what people are saying...

"Empower. Joanna, I feel that you have helped EMPOWER us and overcome some of the limiting things that we've had within ourselves. I know that this is a major part of reiki and our mission as self-healers and the healing of others. " - Jen C

Click here to read more of what my clients are saying...