Joanna can be found on her website, or you can reach her at info@joannascaparotti.com.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Lessons from the Grinch

The holidays used to stress me out. They made me so miserable that I even tried different ways to persuade my family to stop celebrating the holidays so enthusiastically. I was like the Grinch, trying to stop Christmas because it wasn't any fun for me and usually made me sick, too.

There were three things about Christmas that made me miserable - gifts, sweets, and celebrations. My panic about finding the perfect gifts to fulfill my family holiday obligations began each year right after Labor Day. And then when the holiday season began to crank out the sweets, candies, cookies and pies that everyone loves to make and give this time of year, my stress would escalate. I hated to offend and disappoint, but my body does not process sugar well. Either I felt bad saying no and declining treats, or I ate them and became physically ill. By the time the December marathon of family gatherings, work celebrations, and parties with friends came along, I would be exhausted, achy, and sick from the tension, sweets and stress. It was miserable, and I'd end up in bed for a week in January recovering from the toll the holidays took on my body, mind and spirit.

One year, I just couldn’t go through with it. I turned the holidays over to everyone else and took a break. I let my husband manage the presents, and I said "No" to sweets, invitations, and everything else. I stepped back, and from a calmer perspective, to my surprise, I remembered what the holiday traditions are all about. Just like the Grinch who made this discovery in the beloved tale by Dr. Seuss, I reconnected with the reason why we have holiday traditions every year - to celebrate the people and relationships that enrich our lives with love, respect and gratitude.

Most importantly, I realized that I owed it to myself to find an approach to the holidays that let me stay in touch with the meaningful aspects. This meant being relaxed and fully present for those special moments of connection with others. I finally settled on an approach to the holidays that I really enjoy. It’s a combination of prioritizing my own well-being, going with the flow, and finding moments to cherish. I enjoy the holidays now because I stick with the 10 guidelines for stress free holidays that work for me year after year now. You can read those guidelines here.

3 comments:

i-love-me said...

Thank you for saying that you have to be unselfish and give to yourself. I was like many women who gave unselfishly to others and found myself with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Rosacea, Celiac Disease, and overweight. The day I made a decision to place me first changed the rest of my life. Now that I give to me first, I am a better me, sister, daughter, friend, co-worker, teacher, and entrepreneur and I don't suffer from any of those "dis-eases" anymore. One additional note, ladies -- it's not just about giving to yourself during the holiday season; it's about giving to yourself to enjoy every season!

Ria Moore Benedict
www.ilovemecollection.com
--Be loving, happy, yourself, free.

Joanna Scaparotti said...

Thanks Ria! I whole-heartedly agree!

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

what people are saying...

"Empower. Joanna, I feel that you have helped EMPOWER us and overcome some of the limiting things that we've had within ourselves. I know that this is a major part of reiki and our mission as self-healers and the healing of others. " - Jen C

Click here to read more of what my clients are saying...