Joanna can be found on her website, or you can reach her at info@joannascaparotti.com.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Just Breathe

The holidays are quickly approaching, and this can be a very stressful time of year. Personally, I've been struggling to find a way to get through every day this week between trying to finish my to-do list for the holidays (I celebrate both Yule and Christmas), be present with my family (we had an emergency this week), wrap up my year end projects, deal with cancellations and the messy and dangerous sidewalks after the recent snowstorms that hit New England (it is snowing again today), keep up with my husband and our chores around the house, and pay enough attention to my cats.

After trying to get my attention, and me snapping at him to shush, a short while ago my coon cat gave me a look of utter disdain and ran and hid behind the futon in my office. I took that as a sign. I sat down on the futon and just breathed. I noticed my heart was pounding and my thoughts were racing. Wow, I was surprised! I had no idea I was feeling enough pressure to be physically stressed out because I hadn't taken the time to check in with myself all week.

So, I decided to stay there and keep breathing slowly, exhaling longer than inhaling to remind my body to relax. I inhaled for a count of four and exhaled for a count of 6. Gradually the tension left my body, and my breathing naturally became deeper and longer. Then I noticed a gentle, growing feeling of peace and calm. The music playing in the background sounded sweeter, even the snowfall outside my window looked prettier. After a few more moments of this, my cat came out of hiding. He gave me a critical once over, and then, satisfied, jumped up on the futon and licked me affectionately. Boy do I feel better now.

Take a hint from my cat. If you are busy, under pressure, feeling rushed, or stressed, just take a few minutes to breathe slowly. Ignore your racing heart and mind, and let your long slow exhales relax your body and bring back some peace and joy, the tidings of this holiday season.

No comments:

what people are saying...

"Empower. Joanna, I feel that you have helped EMPOWER us and overcome some of the limiting things that we've had within ourselves. I know that this is a major part of reiki and our mission as self-healers and the healing of others. " - Jen C

Click here to read more of what my clients are saying...