Joanna can be found on her website, or you can reach her at info@joannascaparotti.com.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My journey to wellness

I was a hi-tech corporate burn out in just three short years after graduating with a BS in Comp Sci from UMASS Lowell. This was during the big hi-tech boom at the end of the 90's. First I was working 60 hours a week preparing for the apocalypse at midnight on 1/1/00, and I thought "Oh I'll relax and chill out once that impending disaster has passed." Then before I knew it, I was wrapped up in working 80 hours a week on this or that cool new thing for the newly exploding internet marketplace. Months and months went by - eating breakfast, lunch and dinner provided by the company to keep us working day at night. Exercise? Who has time to exercise when you are at work 10-12 hours a day and commuting another two hours. For a while, I had this uneasy feeling but I tried to ignore it. My intuition was telling me this was not how I wanted to spend my life, and one day I just had enough. I was exhausted, overweight, and miserable. I felt that if I didn't do something RIGHT NOW to change my life path, I would live out the rest of my adult life tired and sick. I made a vow to myself to recover my sanity, health and well-being, and then figure out how to stay well! So, I stepped out of the rat race, and it was just as well because shortly after that the hi-tech boom ended and people were laid off in droves.

Over the next 6 years, I experimented on myself and studied various disciplines with masters and teachers. I went to an acupuncturist religiously for a couple of years to bring my energy back into balance and release an allergic pattern my body had developed. At the same time, I worked one on one with a Tai Chi master who taught me awareness of Chi and how to re-energize. He also taught me the philosophies of Taoism and the importance of balance to well-being. I had a dramatic healing with a Reiki Master which inspired me in later years to study and learn with two other Reiki Masters to become a Reiki Master Teacher myself. For two years, I apprenticed with local expert herbalists to learn how the energy of plants can facilitate healing in the body. For about five years, under the compassionate and nurturing guidance of several female teachers, I also undertook to heal the spiritual and emotional aspects of myself through introspection, reflection and exercises. I also spent several years of these years to earn a Masters of Science degree in Natural Health where I studied homeopathy, nutrition, healthy lifestyle habits, human development, psychology and the psycho-spiritual aspects of health and well-being. (Oh yes, I was busy! I also worked full or part-time during these years, and tried to start up my own business more than once as well!)

It took a lot of hard work, but I healed my mind, body and spirit. In addition to returning to wellness, I learned how to STAY well too. Some people, especially those raised in more traditional cultures in the far east, know what to do to feel their best all the time. The rest of us, deprived of this knowledge in our culture and our schooling, need to learn how to maintain wellness in the midst of the chaos of 21st century living. Once I learned the secrets and time-tested techniques to maintaining wellness, I dedicated my life to helping others to feel better too. For a while, I tried jumping back into the rat race to see if I could help people from within the system, but it is hard work fighting against "the way things are". After giving my all to turning the Titanic, I decided I better find another way to help people or risk having to start over again on my wellness journey. About six months ago, I decided to jump ship, get on my own zippy little boat, and spread the message about wellness. So, I started this business dedicated to showing others how to feel their best and stay that way!

Find out more about my background on my website here.

No comments:

what people are saying...

"Empower. Joanna, I feel that you have helped EMPOWER us and overcome some of the limiting things that we've had within ourselves. I know that this is a major part of reiki and our mission as self-healers and the healing of others. " - Jen C

Click here to read more of what my clients are saying...