Joanna can be found on her website, or you can reach her at info@joannascaparotti.com.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Streamlining your space

A few weeks back, I talked about how streamlining your home and office is one way to keep your energy up for fueling your life. If you missed the post about Saying No and Letting go, take a look here. That discussion inspired me so much, I am determined to go through my whole house by the end of the fall. Honestly - this is a pretty daunting project, so I did some research to find out what experts had to say about how to streamline and organize your home, office and life.

The first tip I found was to break down large projects into smaller, more manageable chunks! What a great idea! Instead of trying to find the time (and energy) to rehaul my entire home in one fell swoop, I decided to break it down by room and how much time I spend there. Since I spend most of my time in my office studio, I started there. Currently, I'm working on the closet and storage area since the bedroom is the next place I spend significant time. I plan to work on the kitchen and pantry once the bedroom is complete, and then move onto the livingroom, library areas and bathrooms.

Once I got my mini-projects, I wondered how to streamline. I found advice from another expert who recommended analyzing the area to identify problems, and then taking it a step further to figure out why these problems were happening and how to address them. So, taking my closet for example, I discovered it was hard to find anything or really know what was in there because it was crammed full of stuff and clothes. Why? Because I kept putting more and more items in there and never took anything out. The solution in my case - get rid of stuff!

Depending on the type of problems in your space, the solution is going to vary. If you aren't sure what is going to work in your situation, take a look at the myriad of resources on the internet. Organizing 101 on About.com has a lot of useful links, or Get Real Solutions for Your Home on iVillage. While you're there, you might even want to find out your Organizing Obstacles with the help of Vicki Norris.

In summary, this is what the experts had to say about how to start streamlining and organizing your space.

1st - break down large projects into smaller chunks
2nd - analyze the space to identify problem areas
3rd - determine the cause of the problem
4th - come up with a solution before you move on to the next area

Good luck!

No comments:

what people are saying...

"Empower. Joanna, I feel that you have helped EMPOWER us and overcome some of the limiting things that we've had within ourselves. I know that this is a major part of reiki and our mission as self-healers and the healing of others. " - Jen C

Click here to read more of what my clients are saying...